- We have assembled a team of world renowned engineers, and have been granted two fundamental patents on a wind turbine, the TPC PowerStack multiblade wind turbine, different from any wind machine that has ever been built
Thunderbird's goal is to develop its intellectual property to the point that it is at the forefront of providing reliable, cost-effective and low cost renewable energy technology on a global scale.
The PowerStack has been projected to produce electricity at a tiny fraction of the cost per kWh of ANY other technology, fossil or renewable (1/3 of a penny per kWh @ a wind speed of 21 mph).
-Greater performance cost-effectiveness is projected due to its two patented design improvements that allow it to extract more energy from a column of wind than any other known turbine after a thorough analysis of Comutational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) data received from Siemens and anylyzed by Thunderbird's experts Richard Sutz and Peter Jenkins, PhD.
-Wider operating range (starts producing much earlier* and can produce in much higher winds)
-Lower cost to manufacture (low carbon steel), ship (standard 40 ft containers), deploy and maintain (projected very low maintenance requreiments.
*The cost-effectiveness in lower wind areas means that besides outperforming conventional turbines dollar-for-dollar in higher wind areas by a large margin, it opens up areas previously considered unsuitable due to low winds for wind energy.
% Low carbon galvanized steel
Year Life Span
Conventional lift turbines require state-of-the-art materials, such as composite materials which adds both complexity and cost to their manufacturing. The largest conventional turbine blades are often a bit of a logistical adventure to ship and erect adding a massive amount of initial expenditure on top of the basic product cost for a project. It is not uncommon to hear of bridges being built to transport them as well as helicopters being leased to be able to install and service them. The companies and groups of people involved in the industry at large are continously developing bigger and better technology with brilliant solutions to deal with these often oversized and complex problems.
Conventional turbines often have as many as 9,000+ parts in their rear housings (pictured to the right) most of which are dedicated to moving the turbine blades in and out of high winds because they can disintegrate if the wind is too strong. As a result, conventional turbines require highly specialized and trained installation and maintenance personell for installation, ongoing maintenance and regular parts replacement. Industry warranties are typically only 5- 7 years, and a typical wind project ROI (North America) is 7 to 10 years. Some estimates conclude that on average 30% of a conventional lift turbines revenue needs to be allocated to ongoing maintenance costs .
The PowerStack Turbines key differences are
• New design delivers unparalleled operating cost-effectiveness and range
• Generates utility grade energy starting at <5 mph (10 mph before most conventional turbines start)
• No need to restrict output in high wind speeds unlike the competition (crucial)
• Exponentially higher energy output as wind speeds because it does not need to be moved out of the wind as early
• Inexpensive and easier to manufacture, ship, deploy and maintain
• Significantly lower cost per kW installed
• Does not kill birds, cause noise pollution or cause ground rumble
• Technology confirmed by a leading expert & the Illinois Institute of Technology
• Technology irrefutably confirmed via a thorough analysis of Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)